« Auto Insurance

Connecticut Insurance Requirements

It's the law. If you own a car in Connecticut, you have to have insurance, but you do have some options as to the amount and types of insurance you purchase. It's probably smart to purchase more than the legally mandated limits coverage, especially if you want to protect your assets from a lawsuit. Here are the two kinds of coverage that you have to have:

Liability - (Mandatory)

If you or someone driving your car with your permission are found to be at fault in an accident, that means that you are liable for any of the damages that resulted from the accident. Liability insurance covers the bodily injury (the ambulance, the hospital bills, and the lost wages) and property damage (car repairs, picket fences) costs of the innocent party. Connecticut law says that you must purchase liability coverage of at least $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident for bodily injury and $10,000 per accident for property damage, or 20/40/10. Consider, though, that most cars cost much more than $10,000, and that hospital stays (and funerals) can often cost more than $20,000. Once your insurance company has paid the limits of your policy's coverage, you're on your own. Purchasing additional protection, such as 100/300/50, can protect you from a liability suit.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists - (Mandatory)

This coverage takes effect when you, relatives in your household, or your passengers are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. The limits for this coverage are usually the same as the limits for your bodily injury liability coverage. Connecticut law requires that you buy uninsured/underinsured mtorists coverage of at least $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident (20/40). In addition to the state-mandated minimums, you can also purchase a number of optional coverages.

Optional Coverage

Basic reparations or medical payments coverage

This optional coverage replaces formerly mandatory coverage and provides for medical payments, and in some cases, lost wages and funeral expenses if you or a relative living with you are injured or killed in an accident.

Collision coverage

Collision coverage covers damage to your car caused by collision with another vehicle or object or by your car turning over. There is almost always a deductible which you must pay if you repair or replace the car.

Comprehensive coverage

Comprehensive coveragecovers damage to your car other than that caused by collision, including theft, vandalism, impact with animals or birds, explosion, flood, falling objects, windstorm and glass breakage. As with collision coverage, there is usually a deductible.

Full glass

"Full glass" covers your car’s glass for breakage of safety glass with no deductible for an extra premium.


Towing coverage covers the expense of towing your car to a shop.

Rental reimbursement

Rental reimbursement pays toward the expense of renting a vehicle if you have a loss covered by either collision or comprehensive coverage and your car is disabled.



  © 2015-2017 Thomaston Insurance LLC. All Rights Reserved.